8.04.2010

Whoopie pie failure!


So, like I said... whoopies are on the way! Well, I guess not.

I recently bought this great little cookbook - Making Whoopies, the Official Whoopie Pie Book.
Fun to read, great pictures, nice little stories about where the whoopie pie came from. (Maine, by the way, and anyone who tries to tell you PA, obviously has never had a real whoopie pie!) As I was looking through my new book, I found a recipe for the whoopie pies at Two Fat Cats Bakery in Portland. I tried these 2 years ago, with Dad and Aunt Jeanne, and they changed my life!!!

We were at the Old Port Festival and the bakery had a booth set up and trays of whoopies... hundreds of whoopies... Of course, I bought one, gobbled it up, ran back to the booth, and asked about the filling!!!! WOWWEEEE! Have you ever had marshmallow buttercream? How about marshmallow butter cream with 1 pound of homemade Fluff, 1 pound of butter, and powdered sugar - yikes - give me a spoon!

This new book, unbelievably has the recipe. I tried it. Seemed pretty cut and dry. Wet, dry, mix, let batter sit, scoop, and bake. I can do this!

Nope, I guess not. I am not sure what went wrong exactly, but they have listed bittersweet chocolate, and never tell you what to do with it... I assumed it was a type-o and left it out. My first mistake. "Chill for at least 1 hour" - I let the batter chill for 2. My second mistake. My third mistake was actually getting excited as I placed the cookie sheet in the oven.

The batter was to-die-for. Creamy, fluffy, and delicious. Whoopies ended up one giant puddle... then onto the trash can with the rest of the batter. The filling is still in the refrigerator - awaiting the carrot-cake whoopies that I am going to create - hopefully Friday morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment