2.20.2011

Another batch of muffins... Sweet & Savory?










Apples and cranberries, sauteed onion and garlic, fresh rosemary, salt, pepper, and some hot peppers. Completely different from any muffin I've ever eaten. The onion and garlic were a great texture addition, since they were sauteed first. Then the crunch of the walnuts, chew of the cranberries, and the tender apples - a whole new level! Warm spicy heat is what you are left feeling on your tongue.

Brian said he could, "eat these all day," as he helped himself to another! I often make ham and cheese pancakes - so the next time I make one of these interesting muffins, I will add some ham or possibly bacon. My goal is to have a meal in a muffin! This is still the same hearty recipe - tried and true!

1 C Whole Wheat Flour
1 T Bran
1 T Wheat Germ
1/2 tsp Soda
1/2 tsp Powder
(Whatever spices you like to have with the ingredients you choose, about a tsp. of ground or dry seasoning - like cinnamon - today I used black pepper, and hot peppers)

2 Eggs
1/2 C Oil (I actually use Olive Oil)
1/2 C Honey
Then you can add 1C of just about anything, apple (or apple sauce), pumpkin, zucchini, banana, carrots, or any combo of things you think will taste great.

Finally 1/2 C of items I think of as texture ingredients - dry fruit, nuts, seeds - again - anything!

When you actually mix the ingredients - you can literally put everything into one bowl, just start with the eggs, beat them a little, and keep going from there. No need to worry about your order of operations with this recipe. They have never, ever failed me, no matter how many times I try to mix it up and change the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment