2.20.2011

Monkey cake note...

So, a quick little note about the monkey cake. This is the frosting when I was done whipping it in the mixer. It was smooth and creamy, so much like a mousse, I was literally licking the giant whisk attachment when it was done.
We had made plans with Brian's Dad for lunch at Gritty's last Sunday afternoon, and I didn't feel right leaving the frosting out on the counter while we were gone. (BIG MISTAKE!) Never refrigerate chocolate frosting, made with melted chocolate, until you have frosted your cake. There was no bringing it back from the cold. It was easy enough to spread - but the texture went from perfectly luxurious to dry, and almost ready to crack! I used a hot spreader, and it took a LONG time!

It is so heart wrenching when something like this happens in the kitchen... especially when there is chocolate involved.

Just another lesson learned... maybe I should have already known this! Oh well - the flavor was great - and the cake was so yummy - it made up for the blah texture of the frosting. (This is going to be filed away as the best frosting I have ever made though - before I ruined it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment