10.27.2010

Donuts - My inner calm


We could go broke on paper products alone, and I would much rather spend my money having fun instead cleaning a mess with a paper towel! Luckily we had coffee filters...
Somehow I ended up with this great thermometer, which makes heating oil on the stove a much safer process. Started with very low heat, and gradually found the right temperature for these yummy chocolate wonders!
Donuts cook upside-down I guess. They grow into the oil rather than raising up like most things that I cook or bake. Makes sense - but I was still surprised to see it!
Uh-Oh! See what I mean - coffee filters! Some days I do wish we spent the extra $.99 on paper towels!!

Go to Smitten Kitchen - check out her beautiful photos of donuts - remember that it was easy and do it yourself! It is so fun to make something new, especially when it feels like a science experiment.

As I sit here, I remember exactly when I made these donuts! Thursday morning, as I was waiting to leave for the Trek Across Maine. (This means, checking my watch, packing, double checking what I packed, sitting on my couch with 6 hours before the bus... in my Gritty's jersey... just about dying from the suspense...) Needing to unwind, I read Smitten Kitchen, and found my inner calm - donut making!!


1 comment: