10.31.2010

Pumpkin Crumb Pie

The last two times to Brooklin, we've made a trip to Ellsworth to eat at the Riverside Cafe. (Thanks for the idea Jen! YUM!)

When you walk in, they have a beautiful case of cakes and pies. This is where I found the idea for the crumb topping on pumpkin pie. It's funny - when I saw the pie in the case, I dreamed of making one of my own! When you have a Dad who has perfected pumpkin pie to the point that my Dad has, it is hard to try someone else's.

After about a month of day dreaming of this pie, and visiting the Riverside again to see their version of this yummy treat - I've finally made it!

Honestly, when you have a perfect pumpkin pie, I guess you shouldn't try to make it better! Crumbs were fine, the pie was fine, but truly better when I picked the crumbs off.

My thoughts are, everyone should go to the cafe and have pecan pie. This is what I chose the first visit, and it was the perfect flavor and texture, even with a full belly, I didn't leave a crumb on my plate. (The pumpkin whoopie I tried the second time really wasn't worth the calories. Brian had a bite, and I had a bite, but the rest was left uneaten. Sad. I know.)

Also - crab cake sandwich with a lemon herb aioli has been perfect both times we've eaten there. I will continue to visit the Riverside, and work my way through the case of sweets, but I am certain that I will eat the crab cake every time I go!!

Negative Nelly does need to report that we've been stuck with the same terrible waitress both times, and so will sit at the counter next time, in hopes of avoiding her unpleasant demeanor. We are probably two of the most pleasant customers that could enter a restaurant, and so we are not sure why she is unfriendly to us - and sweet to the others.

Riverside Cafe
151 High Street
Ellsworth, ME 04605

No comments:

Post a Comment