11.01.2010

Fudge Brownies

This recipe has never failed me. It is easy, quick and consistent. We could go on and on about which chocolate is best for baking, but I will just mention, the flavor that will be revealed by baking brownies from scratch is so different to the boxed mix, that it is great to use Baker's Chocolate. People will eat them and smile and get excited because you made brownies!

Also - it is nice to make a recipe with Baker's chocolate because it is a consistently easy and inexpensive product to find in all grocery stores. I always have a package in the closet - no matter what!

One of my favorite things about making brownies is that there is no hurry! Slowly melt the chocolate and butter. This step smells great - Brian is grading papers saying, "I smell chocolate!"

You know a recipe is good when it calls for almost equal parts sugar, butter and flour!

I have made these brownies many times with a mint topping. It is so easy, and doesn't take many more ingredients. This time though, I added a little almond extract and topped with almonds. Nuts are a staple in our house, so I usually opt for adding them rather than another layer of sweet mint topping.

The mint brownies are Amy's favorite - and so I am sure that I will be making them again in the near future with her or for her. They are a great treat during the holidays - something about green mint topping screams, "CHRISTMAS!"




1 1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
Whisk in a small bowl and set aside.

1 1/2 sticks butter
6 oz unsweetened chocolate
2 1/4 C sugar

Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler. Remove from heat and whisk in the sugar. Add 4 eggs, one at a time, then slowly fold in the dry ingredients.

So, when you are adding the eggs, you can add 1/2 tsp of mint extract, almond, vanilla, I guess anything you really want to flavor your brownies. Maybe coconut!?

I line the baking pan with foil. 2 long pieces, one from side to side and the other, end to end. Spray with a little Pam, and pour in the batter. It cooks 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes, depending on how gooey you like your brownies.

Yesterday when I made these, this is where I stopped - I did add some almonds before I baked, but after they were done, I pulled them out of the pan and cut into them.

If you want to try the mint brownies - it is just a couple more steps that I will include here. In my stand mixer I add:
1/2 C melted butter
2 1/2 C confectioners sugar
3-4 Tbs creme de menthe
1 tsp mint extract
Mix until light and fluffy - it is just a simple mint frosting. It is very smooth and almost the texture of a thicker icing. You can set this aside and wait for your brownies to cool.

To make them extra pretty - you need a little chocolate drizzle for the top:
3 Tbs butter
1/2 C semisweet chocolate

Melt in a double boiler, let it cool a little, then drizzle onto the brownies after you have frosted them. I usually drag a knife through the drizzles to make a little pattern.

Once all of the steps are done - I put them in the freezer for about 15-30 minutes - then I cut them. This keeps the top pretty and makes it easier to get a clean cut. Remember how rich these are and cut them small! Usually about 1x1 inch squares are large enough. If they aren't, friends will feel less guilty when they have a 2nd!

No comments:

Post a Comment